Attention Ohio Testers:
Our next meetup is scheduled for April 26, 2016. We are just a few weeks away! Matthew Eakin has volunteered to give a presentation on “Cucumber as a Collaboration Tool.” Having heard Matthew speak on several occasions, I am sure this will be an interesting discussion.
If you are going to be in the Columbus area, we would love to see you there!
I am going to endeavor to try to post raw notes or recaps from previous meetups on a more frequent basis than I have in the past.
March’s meeting featured Damian Synadinos speaking on the topic of “Commutication – An Exploration of Idea Transfer With Words.” This was a fast paced “beta” presentation helping him to prepare for STPCon Spring 2016. It was quite an endeavor by Damian to try to produce a workshop’s worth of material into just less than two hours…and in my opinion, it went very well!
Here are some of the highlights discussed during the night.
- Commutication was referenced as a combination of Commute and Communication
- Commute – journey
- Communication – exchanging information with another person
- The importance for clear communication
- Deep understanding
- Ways to better understand and be better understood
- Shared understanding
- Your Wants, needs, expectations
- Took a deep diving into definition, words, and means and method to create cleaner definition to improve communication
- We looked at idioms, statements, semantics, expressions, purposes, and their kinds.
- Various communication methods and there components were explained
- Satir Interaction
- Various reasons why miscommunication can occur were explained (including group exercise of the Telephone Game)
- Miscommunication causes
- sender has unclear idea (bad foundation)
- choosing wrong words
- wrong timing, wrong audience
- subjective language
- appropriate channel/method
- distraction, interference,
- past experience change a meaning
- jargon & acronyms
turbo encabulator video — check out
- indirect communication
- accents, dialects, colloquialisms
- homonyms – sound same, different spelling, different meaning
- dangling participles
- garden path sentences
- McGurk Effect
- Shallow Agreement
- Miscommunication causes
- Several examples of effects from Miscommunication (historical and personal examples)
- Various methods to reduce Miscommunication were explained
- When to reduce?
- consider the audience, environment, risk
- definition dissection (looking up each word)
- etymology, history, roots
- giving examples
- explain, describe
- reverse dictionary
- 5 W’s
- Safety language – epistemic, deontic modalities
- Change perspective – relative rule
- The needs for creating a common language, in our case, an exercise in defining a testing vocabulary
Is there a topic that you would like to discuss at a future meetup? If so, send a message to @testingcurator or thecurator -at- testingcurator.com